Wednesday, February 1, 2012

First Things First

I. Today's topics
   A. Brief backstory and why I started DNN
   B. Old news
        1. Mark of Athena
        2. Serpent's Shadow and other KC news
        3. Demigod Diaries
   C. New news
        1. SOPA/PIPA
        2. Sea of Monsters graphic novel/movie
        3. News from Rick
   D. Miscellaneous
        1. Countdown to MoA
        2. The PJatO Fandom
        3. Sources
       
Hey everyone! Today, while doing school (I'm homeschooled), I decided that I wanted to start a blog for the latest news in the Percy Jackson universe. Lately, I've been annoyed that some of the sites I follow haven't been keeping up with everything, so I'm taking matters into my own hands.

 Brief backstory: I read the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series for the first time in January of 2010. Then two more times before the year was out. Then again to refresh my memory for the Son of Neptune release. But I won't read it again because I'm just going to make myself crazy while waiting for the Mark of Athena.

 Ok, then, let's get down to business!

Old News (Just trying to catch up on things here)
Mark of Athena-
If you've read the Son of Neptune, that I'm sure you know that this is the title of the third book. Rick's blog states that a decent amount of the book will take place on a boat (most likely the Argo II) and that he is hard at work! Thankfully, because I'm getting really anxious.

Serpent's Shadow/Kane Chronicles-
On Rock Center with Brian Williams (aired January 10th, I believe?) Rick debuted the cover of the third and final book in the Kane Chronicles series: the Serpent's Shadow. The first chapter is available on the Disney Hyperion site for the Kane Chronicles. The book hits stores May 1, 2012.
The Kane Chronicles Survival Guide (companion book to the series) is available March 20, which is coming up!

Demigod Diaries-
Companion to the Heroes of Olympus series. News about this leaked a while ago on Amazon. On Rock Center, Rick offered some information about it. Here's a summary from Rick's blog: 

*A story from Luke Castellan's point of view, from the days when he adventured with Thalia and Annabeth. Many people have asked me to write an adventure prequel to The Lightning Thief. Here it is!

*A classic first-person Percy Jackson story, the first I've written since The Last Olympian. In this adventure, Annabeth and Percy's date is interrupted by the god Hermes, whose staff has been stolen by a fire-breathing giant. This cannot be good . . .

*A Leo Valdez story, set at Camp Half-Blood. As Leo builds the Argo II, something goes terribly wrong. Now Leo will need the help of Piper and Jason, or the entire camp might be destroyed.

*And, as announced on Rock Center, the anthology includes a debut short story from my son Haley. Since Haley inspired the entire Percy Jackson series, it seemed only right that I asked him to contribute his own original spin on Percy's world for this book. I was amazed at what Haley came up with. His brother Patrick, who's a tough editor, was quick to say, "Dad, his story is better than yours!" Haley ponders the question: "What happened to the demigods who fought with Kronos's army after the battle in Manhattan?" This is the story of one such demigod, and I have to admit, some of Haley's ideas are so good I wish I'd come up with them!

The book will be available August 14 of this year. Rick also mentioned that the book will feature the first ever picture of Thalia. Here's a tentative cover for the book from Rick's twitter account: 

New News-
SOPA/PIPA- I, unfortunately, didn't find out about this until the day after and therefore, had no time to blackout my Tumblr or my other blog. I am very much against these acts and the government trying to take away our freedom, so I signed a petition in the hopes that that will make up for my lack of blackout.

Sea of Monsters Graphic Novel/Movie-
Cover for the graphic novel (sequel to the Lightning Thief) has been released:
It will be available September 4, 2012 in the U.S.
As far as the movie, there isn't any recent news except that it is set for release in 2013 and the main stars (Logan Lerman, Alexandra Daddario, Brandon T Jackson, and Jack Abel) will be coming back. Gina Carano is rumored to play Circe, but that isn't official. 

News From Rick-
Riordan Exhibit-
A new exhibit at the Alkek Library at the Texas State University in San Marcos, Texas. Pictures and other info are available on Rick's blog.
Rick announced on twitter that he passed 45,000 followers and the Red Pyramid is available in Russia. Hooray for random facts of life!

Miscellaneous-
Countdown to MoA-
Today is February 1 and you know what that means: we are one month closer to the release of Mark of Athena! We survived October, November, December, and January. I'd say we're making progress and there is a lot to look forward to this year before the release.
The Fandom-
The best Percy Jackson artists on deviantART:

Those are only a few. For fanfiction, I recommend: 
I also write fanfic if anyone is interested: natalia1417

Wow, sorry this was so long! I just wanted to catch up on everything. I'll post again the next time some interesting tidbit has surfaced. Please feel free to let me know if I've missed anything!
Have a nice day!
          -Natalie

Sources-
Special thanks to IMdB, Bluetrident.org, Myth & Mystery, @RickRiordan for the information in this post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment