Saturday, October 20, 2012

Short Q&A

Rick posted this on his blog recently. In case anyone was freaking out over the ending of The Mark of Athena (I know I was) there is some reassurance here.

"Q. Why can't I have the next book NOW? I NEED IT!
A. The thing is, it doesn't exist yet. Sadly, each book takes a full year to write.

Q. Why can't you speed it up? You were writing Kane Chronicles and now you're not, so can't you release the new book in six months?
A. No, even when I was writing two books a year, I'd be planning and researching one while revising the other. It is possible (though exhausting) to work on two series at once, but each book still takes a full year to create. If I tried to speed up the process, the book wouldn't be any good. It's better to take my time and write a good book than the rush out a bad book, I think! Besides, the publisher wouldn't ever release the books of one series in a time span shorter than a year. It takes that long to figure out the release date, promote the book, design the cover, edit the manuscript, talk to the booksellers, format the e-book in all the different versions and of course print and ship the physical books. It's a long process! 

Q. I want to go forward in time and pull the next book out of fall 2013.
A: Gosh, me too. That would save me a lot of work. Unfortunately, Kronos the god of time is not a friend of mine . . .

Q. Why are you taking time to write a blog entry? Get back to writing House of Hades!!
A. Yeah, well, I do have to take breaks from time to time for, you know, eating and sleeping and stuff. That's also part of the process. Like Percy, I'm pretty ADHD. I tend to write in a 'hit and run' fashion. Write a page. Get up a walk around. Check email. Write another page. Take the dog out. Etc. I've learned the hard way that if I treat writing like a nine-to-five job and sit at my computer for hours on end, my productivity and quality don't increase. I just stare at the screen more. Having said that, yes, I am trying to limit my time doing other things, so if you don't see a lot of new blog entries, that's why!

The one thing I can promise regarding The House of Hades  ***SPOILER ALERT****  At the end of Mark of Athena, Nico senses that Percy and Annabeth are still alive, despite the incredible danger they are in. Nico is right. They are alive. You WILL find out what is happening to them in the next book. They don't disappear from the story.  **** END SPOILER ALERT*****"

20 comments:

  1. Wow people ask pretty unrealistic questions. People don't realize that the author is human and it takes a decent time to write a good story and get it published. The first draft of my novel (not yet published) took me almost two and a half years to finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know, i know. but it's human nature to be impatient. ;)
      you think you're going to publish? if you ever get it out there i'd love to read it!

      Delete
    2. Yes. I will be getting it published. I will be starting the publication process in 2015. I also have blog. It is called treenook. The address is treenook.blogspot.com there I will be posting my progress into my second draft and my journey through publishing.

      Delete
    3. Look at my blog to find out. If you still have questions then I will answer them there.

      Delete
    4. Completely understand! My brother got his first book (self) published in January...but he'd been doing the final drafts for almost 2 years, and he'd been WRITING the story for 7. His next book comes out Jan. 2013.

      BTW. His book's called The Zochtil. It's a Science Fiction Novel.

      Delete
    5. That sounds interesting! I'll see if I can find it.

      Delete
  2. Wow people.....but the ending of the book did take me by surprise......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it took everyone by surprise. I know I'm going to have a hard time waiting another year...

      Delete
    2. Yea, i lost sleep thinking about it:( i know its not real but i guess im obsessed because it mad my heart heavy:(

      Delete
    3. oh a lot of people did. it was a really sad ending =( but i hear a rumor that they are definitely alive and that we'll know what happens to them in the fourth book! rick said so himself!

      Delete
    4. Hahaha i hope i live long enough because i swear i'll die of anxietyXD

      Delete
    5. Haha, I know. Same here! Do you have a tumblr account? Because there are so many fans on there that would love to sympathize with you.

      Delete
    6. We all know what you're going through. You're not alone... ;)

      Delete
    7. “Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

      Sorry. I had too.

      Anyway, I'm so excited to read House of Hades...it's gonna be amazing!

      ~Lynette (using my Wordpress account)

      Delete
    8. Don't worry I'm a Harry Potter fan too. We don't have to be 100% dedicated to one series. It took me a moment to figure out the quote from Dumbledore.

      Delete